Followers

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Date Night: Lu'au


This past weekend, I treated my husband to a Dinner Show. It's Hui 'Ilima's 54th Annual Lu'au (All-You-Can-Eat Hawaiian Sit-Down Dinner and Hawaiian Dance Show). It's one of my favorite events.



It was held at the familiar grounds of IFES Portuguese Hall in Mountain View. A long line of patrons greeted us when we arrived, and we had to walk through clusters of people to get at the very end. The familiar booths of Hawaiian souvenirs sat around the side of the building. They were colorful and cute. My husband bought me a new purple hair clip to match the purple muumuu I was wearing. Of course, I matched with my husband's purple shirt, too, which was a practiced tradition of ours.

The doors opened up and everybody slowly stepped inside the big hall. There were around 300 attendees. I wasn't sure, there maybe more than that. The hall almost filled up, just like the previous years. Every long table was occupied with colorful Hawaiian-garbed attendee. It was a fun sight. We met new friends from our table, too. Some of them experienced the event only this year, while others attended for years.

After we got comfortable at our table, the event servers started giving out the yellow Styrofoam food trays full of goodies. They separated the dishes with Styrofoam cups. It's easier to clean and gather. We had Baked Fish, Haupia, Sweet Bread, Sweet Potato and Pineapples for appetizers. The dinner consisted of the Kahlua Pork, Lomi-Lomi Salmon, Chicken Long Rice Soup, Poi and Steamed White Rice. Fruit Punch, Coffee, and Water for drinks. They did have alcohol for extra purchase at a bar located inside one of the rooms of the hall, but we didn't avail of it.



The food was great. (It has always been great every time I've attended--except for Poi. I'm not a fan of Poi--a taro paste or pudding of some sort. Well, don't get me wrong. Maybe others like it, but not me.) We were the ones who gave up. We said no to the servers. We just couldn't handle all of the offered helpings. **laughs** After dinner, raffle tickets were called, and there were different prizes. After that, the dance show started.

They had a new group of dancers this year from Kawailehua Hula Ohana. I love watching the exotic dances, especially the Tahitian dance. It reminded me of my little girl days when I donned a grass skirt on and danced Tahitian. (Shaking your booty to the Tahitian drum beat is a great exercise, you know. **giggles**) The male dancers were quite popular that night. Hmm, I wonder why. **laughs**





Overall, it was a great date night with my husband. I may be too late to ask, but how did you spend your weekend?


2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! Our weekend last week was good...quiet, the way we like it. Tomorrow we are taking his son & daughter to the King Richards Faire (local renaissance fair).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Renaissance Faires. I have gone to the NorCal RenFaire in Hollister. I'd worn my wench costume once. It's so fun. You'll definitely have lots of photos. I wonder if I could visit the one this year and bring my husband. I'd bring my new camera with me. We could wear our pirate costumes. :-)

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Have a wonderful day!